The Charlton Tavern is a lively restaurant in Ballston Lake, NY. We use the best ingredients and provide a great atmosphere.
Looking forward to hosting you soon!
"Charlton Tavern, where there are no strangers…only friends who have not yet met…"
Welcome to “Charlton Tavern,” Circa 1787. That was the year George Washington presided over the drafting of our Constitution in Philadelphia, PA. That same year, in the village of Charlton, NY, Elmer Smith opened this building as a stagecoach stop. The Tavern was on the ground floor and the kitchen and adjoining blue dining room are located in what was once a barn and livery stable. The old dining room with the wall mural was added on around the year 1835 to join the main house with the barn.
Throughout the years the building has changed many times. There were structural additions and remodeling of the inside and out. In 1969, under its recent ownership, a large-scale renovation and restoration was undertaken. The hand-hewn beams in the ceilings were exposed and the old floors refurbished. The interior walls were re-constructed with materials from yester-year. The fireplace brick was transplanted from beehive ovens found in the cellar and combined with freestanding mantel beams to form the old fireplace. All of this, required many hours of TLC, but like an old shoe, it wore well!
Surrounded by his family, William T. Maloney passed January 4, 2009 in his home. A funeral procession lead by his beloved wife Ethel, proudly walked through snow covered Charlton for the last time, flanked by family, friends and Irish Bagpipers.
As if by province, on January 9th, 2009 the Charlton Tavern also passed due to a fire. With the love and support of family and community, not unlike the fabled “Phoenix rising from the ashes.” The Heart of Charlton has been refitted and returned to its rightful place of meetings and gatherings for all.